Frequently Asked Questions
How do I join a library?
You do not need proof of your identity to join, but if you can show proof of address, you will be given your library card immediately. Otherwise it will be posted to you.
Under 13s need someone over 18 to sign their form.
Why do I need a library PIN and how do I get one?
You need a library PIN (Personal Identification Number) to use any of our online services:
· To request or renew an item online.
· To book a PC in the library.
· To log on to a PC in the library
· To download an ebook
How to get a PIN
· Visit any Walsall Library with your library card and ask a member of staff.
· If you have registered your email address when you joined the library, email your local library and they will forward your PIN to you.
Is it really free to use my library?
It doesn't cost anything to join or to borrow books. If your books are late back or you want to use some other services there may be charges - check our library charges page for more detail.
Can children join the library?
Yes, you can join the library at any age.. There are lots of books and activities for all children and babies too. Visit Walsall Libraries Children's pages for more details.
Where is my nearest library and when is it open?
What can I borrow from my library?
You can borrow:
- Fiction of all kinds including mysteries, thrillers, sagas, romances, science fiction and fantasy, historical, westerns, graphic novels.
- Information books, from cookery and gardening to science and sociology.
- Books in European languages
- Books in Asian languages
- Novels and information books in large print.
- Stories and information books for children of all ages.
- DVDs and CDs at some libraries
- Language courses
- Talking books on CD and cassette. Also on MP3 CD at some libraries.
- Music scores
- Reading Well: Books on Prescription
How long can I keep the items I borrow from my library?
You can keep most books, talking books and music CDs for four weeks.
At Walsall Central, Aldridge, Bloxwich. Willenhall, Darlaston, Brownhills, Streetly and Pelsall Libraries there are Bestseller collections which can be borrowed for one week.
DVDs may be borrowed for between 2 days and 28 days. See our Music and films page for details
Ebooks can be downloaded for up to 21 days. You can choose the number of days that you prefer.
Can I renew the items I borrow from my library?
Unless someone else has asked for them, you can renew books by:
· Logging into your online library account
· Calling our free 24 hour telephone renewal line (01922 709256)
· Asking a member of staff at your local library
How many items can I borrow?
· You can borrow up to 15 items at one time
· You can download up to 3 ebooks at one time
Can I search for library items online?
Yes - you can search for library items using our online catalogue.
Can I use computers and the internet in my library?
Yes, your local library has computers with internet access that you can use for free. We recommend that you book some time on a computer to make sure there's one available for you when you visit.
Visit our Book a computer page for more information.
What do I do if I lose my library card?
Please tell your local library immediately because you are responsible for all items borrowed on your card and for any access to the internet made using your card.
We can then cancel lost or stolen cards and issue you with a new one. There will be a small charge for your replacement card.
What if I can't get out to visit a library?
If you find it difficult to visit your library due to illness, disability or if you are a carer,| then we could visit you at home as part of our Home Library Service.